Thursday, the dreaded grocery shopping day and I’m not ready. I still have blank spaces on my meal planner, the page as blank as my meal planning or should I say not meal planning mind. I’m not sure what I want to do about Super Bowl Sunday, do I want to cook or do I want to go with Walt’s suggestion for a Game Day Bucket from the Colonel (KFC). I actually may opt for the Colonel. I am procrastinating and need to get that list done so I can go shopping because there is no doubt that the later I get out of here the more I”ll be frustrated.
Today will be a short post with just a little bit of this, a little bit of that. First up a quick review from my mom on the Creamy Italian Chicken made in the slow cooker. On Sunday mom made the slow cooker Italian Chicken and both she and my dad liked it. In fact my dad, the person who is really not a chicken fan in any form, told mom she could definitely make that dish again. The only complaint my mom had was with the cream cheese, some of it did not melt even after 6 hours in the slow cooker. Hmmm, not sure why that happened, mine melted. Next time mom is going to mix the cream cheese into the soup mixture so it all heats and cooks evenly.
Last night was smorgash board night. There was a little stew left from Sunday, a chicken breast and rice left over from Monday’s Swiss Chicken and a little bit of the Cincinnati Chili from Tuesday. I had the chicken breast with rice and both reheated in the microwave really well, Walt had a little bit of the stew and a little of the chili and said both were delicious.
That’s going to wrap it up today, I really need to get focused on my meal planner and grocery list. As I sit and look out the window, I can see that our almost 60 degree day yesterday turned into a cold snowy one day. Only in Michigan can you get four seasons in one day!
Today I’m going to leave you with a recipe for the M&M Cookies that I made last week. I have not made these in a long time, mostly because my favorite is chocolate chip but I recently discovered that they are one of Walt’s favorites when he grabbed a pack of Keebler’s Rainbow Cookies and said “I love these!” In all these years he’s never mentioned them until recently so….I made M&M cookies for Walt and he loved them.
I always forget how quick and easy it is to make cookies until I start baking. Home baked cookies are so much better than store-bought, bake up a batch today!
What You’ll Need:
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup M&M’s (If you like lots of M&M’s in your cookies add more)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, shortening and sugars on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla until well combined.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture at low-speed, beating just until incorporated.
- Gently fold in M&M’s.
- Drop tablespoons of batter onto prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until edges are golden brown but center is still moist, about 9-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.