New Job – First Day Highlights

Saturday mornings now have new meaning.  I like many, many others have a list of things to accomplish today before returning to work on Monday.  But that’s ok, I’m up for the challenge.

My first day of my new job was not without incident.  I was to arrive in Southfield at 8:30 a.m. for orientation with Kelly and a meeting with Maria who will be my boss.  Southfield is roughly a 20 minute drive from my home.  With that in mind I set the alarm for 6:00 a.m. so that I could shower, hop on the computer for a bit,  grab a coffee and a bagel and be out the door by 7:20 a.m. with enough time to compensate for any traffic jams on 696.

WRONG!  As I began to merge onto the entry ramp to the freeway it was at a dead stop.  Cars in the right lane were stopped and only allowing one car at a time to enter the freeway from the entrance ramp.  As I made my merge into the right lane, creeping ever so slowly trying to get enough of an open window that would allow me to pull into the center lane without getting hit by on coming traffic.  Eventually I was able to do that and was well on my way.  The culprit of the right lane stop and go was the next exit, people were trying to get off on an exit that was going through major construction.

I made it a few miles down the freeway when we came to a dead stop….all of us.  Eventually we started creeping up at about 20 miles an hour.  I turned the radio on to Walt’s favorite local talk show which also does frequent updates on traffic to discover that a semi trailer had over turned one exit passed the exit I needed to get to and traffic was reduced to one lane from four!!

When I was finally able to get off of the freeway and take surface streets I ran into stalled cars in turning lanes and construction.  I could not believe it.  I called Kelly and told her I would be late, she was very sweet and said not to worry to get there when I could…..imagine my embarrassment when I arrived at 9:30 a.m. !!  Everyone was really great about it, I was not the only one caught up in all of that mess.  I have never, ever been late for a job in my life, I couldn’t believe it happened to me on my first day.

After a few hours in Southfield for orientation and meetings, Maria and I went to the Sterling Heights office which will be my home base.  It was nice that Maria went with me to introduce me to the staff there and fill them in on my role and status.  Maria showed me my office and when I logged on to my computer and e-mail I was surprised to find I had received e-mails from everyone in the company welcoming me to the team.  In all my years of working….I’ve never received such a warm welcome, it made my day.  The rest of the afternoon was pretty much finding my way around, getting familiar with the software that I’ll be using and teleconferences.

The ride home was a pleasant 9 minute drive….I love it.  Walt was here when I arrived, he had taken the day off so that he could fix the hose on the water/ice maker that had sprung a leak a few days ago and flooded the kitchen.  What a mess that was, in fact the day that happened was the morning I had my interview with Kelly.  Hmmmm is this an omen?

Anyway, Walt took a vacation day to fix the hose, it was nice pulling into the driveway to see him home.  He took me out for a celebratory dinner, we decided on Olive Garden.  We had an appetizer – Shrimp Scampi Fritta which was delicious, a few glasses of wine (yes more than one), a great dinner, I had the chicken scampi, Walt had the sausage pasta,  topped off with their delicious pumpkin cheesecake which Walt and I shared, it made it the perfect ending to my day.  We had the cutest lil waiter too, his name was Mark, he made sure we were well taken care of.

By 8:30 p.m., I was a little…….relaxed….two glasses of wine and all that food did it, I went to lay in bed and finish watching Undercover Boss, which happened to be about Kendall Jackson Wines.  Yes, I was in bed by 8:30 p.m. asleep by 9:00 p.m.  Walt said he peeked in at 9:00 p.m. and I was sound asleep.  I woke up only briefly around 9:30 p.m. to answer a text from Cindy and then it was lights out!  I slept through the night until 7:00 a.m. this morning.

Cup of coffee in hand I am ready to start my day.  I have a few errands to run then the rest of the day I’m going to relax and maybe work little bit on “Coming Up This Week” for tomorrow’s post.  Tomorrow is football with Joshua, I’ll be in the stands rooting for our little Green Bay Packers.  A nice relaxing weekend before my first full week of work begins………….Looking forward to it.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!


One thought on “New Job – First Day Highlights

  1. I wish I could sleep like you. I can’t remember when I’ve slept the whole night through. It’s a bummer when you’re late, especially on the first day. But I think they take that with a grain of salt, as long as you don’t abuse it. You certainly had a lot of construction to deal with. Once, I had an interview at a college that was about an hour and a half drive away, in another town. On the way there, the highway had a huge sinkhole and the police were diverting traffic. I only knew one way to get there and was afraid I’d get lost using side streets. So I called them about it and they were very understanding. I can’t remember if I re-scheduled or if I managed to find my way there but I did get there eventually.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s