Hello family, friends and fellow bloggers, I’ve missed all of you!!
It was not my intention to be away for this long (12 days), we celebrated Joshua’s 8th birthday on March 4 and I was looking forward to sharing our day with all of you on Monday the 5th but when I woke up on Monday morning I wasn’t feeling quite like myself. A sore throat had set in, achy, headache, so I decided to take it easy for the day. Tuesday I had no motivation and once again put the blog as well as other things on the back burner.
Waking up on Wednesday (March 6th) to beautiful spring weather I forced my self to run some errands and then came home and decided to clean out the flower beds under my kitchen windows. I just couldn’t let all that beautiful weather go to waste! Unfortunately that was the trigger and the beginning of a week of a sinus infection and bronchitis. I can not remember a time of being so down and worn out so when my doctor said “Bed rest and lots of it” for the first time I did not argue with him. All my energy was zapped.
After 5 days of antibiotics for the sinus infection, steroids for the bronchitis, codeine for the cough, and a lot of sleep, today…..finally….I feel a little more like myself. We have beautiful weather here this week, perfect spring like weather with temperatures in the low 70’s today woohoo!! So I have to admit that I was not surprised when Walt realized this morning that I was getting my back to my ole self he informed me as he walked out the door……….”No yard work!” He knows me so well. I have to agree with him though, although I am no longer coughing up a lung, I am still coughing up about a thrid of a lung and I do still feel just a little bit unsteady on my feet.
Needless to say there has not been a lot of cooking going on around here. In fact…..almost none for over a week! I bet you’re thinking, “Oh, no recipe today.” Ahh, but there is. Taking pictures while cooking has become routine, everyone is getting used to it, kind of….sort of.
Here is one that has been in the archeive waiting for a day like today when I don’t have one from the night before. It is a great pasta dish that I found way back in 2008 on Hunts.com. We’ve been making this for years and we love it. Made with Italian sausage, spinach and canned pasta sauce (I know I wasn’t sure either when I first saw the recipe), it is filled with flavor, is quick to assemble, quick to cook, and ohhhh so delicious!!
Mediterranean Penne and Sausage
- 12 ounces dry penne pasta, uncooked (12 oz = 3 cups)
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage links, casings removed
- 1 can (24 oz each) Hunt’s® Roasted Garlic & Onion Pasta Sauce
- 1 can (6 oz each) Hunt’s® Tomato Paste
- 1 can (2.25 oz each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pkg (6 oz each) fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 cups = 12 oz)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, brown sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to break up sausage with spoon. Drain.
- Stir in pasta sauce, tomato paste, olives and water. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Drain pasta; place in large serving bowl. Add sauce and spinach; mix lightly. Add cheese; stir until slightly melted.